Tuesday, October 07, 2008

'Dem Bones

One thing I have learned about the South is that it is OLD.

People have been living here in the south for a long time. And dying too. Last year I purchased a book about the history of the area. On our mile and half stretch of road there are 3 known cemeteries. I think I know where 1 of them is and even though the book maps out where the other 2 are, I cannot figure out where they could be. Key words here are "known" and "cemeteries."

Here in the south it is legal to bury people in your yard if the zoning allows it. Before zoning laws, people just buried other people where ever. Probably somewhere near their family homes.

When we went to Cades Cove over the summer, I wanted to find my relatives' cemetery. The only two graves that could be found were in church cemeteries. The family did have a plot, but that plot has been "lost through time," meaning the grave markers have been overgrown to the point where they are unrecognizable as such.

One of my neighbors, Old Uncle Lester who has lived here his entire life and whose family owned most of the land on our road at one time, tells me that there used to be cabin up on the back of our property. There was no running water or electricity, but people lived there none the less. I have found no evidence of this cabin as of yet, but there is an old logging road, which now has saplings growing up in the middle of the ruts.

I guess bottom line is, I'm afraid I'm going to dig up some bones when I plant my roses. I'll cross my fingers that they are deer bones.

Because there are plenty of bones out here.

This little beauty washed down our creek after a heavy rain.



These things are on the hill, about 10' from our barn.



This is our gravel driveway. Nice. Let's look closer, shall we?




Just as one can expect.....more bones!



As long as they keep to themselves, I guess it's alright.

No comments: