Saturday, September 13, 2008

Because Friends Do Love At All Times




Word has gotten out all over about woman who kept a blog about her and her family, nienie She and her husband were in a small plane accident in Arizona. A flight instructor was killed and the wife and husband were badly injured. They have 4 small children, who were not on the plane at the time. People that they have never met, but who know their family through her blog and emails, heard of her story are currently trying to raise $100K to help this family offset some of the medical and rehabilitation bills. This outpouring of love has reached media outlets and is making news. For those of us who have been in the online communities for years know that this is nothing new. Love and connections become deep even among people who have never met in person, just through chatting online and opening up to each other.

The day my house caught fire, I called the fire department, my husband and then shot an email off to my group of online friends that simply said, "My chimney is on fire, gotta go." Then my power shut off.


After a long day dealing with fire trucks, Red Cross, confused kids and dripping water blackened with ash, it was time to use our hotel vouchers and head to our new temporary hotel rooms. When I opened the door to my darkened room, there on the bed sat a basket full of goodies....including snacks & things for the kids, light gossip magazines for reading and a big wonderful bottle of wine for Rick and I. How did that get there?

Once my online friends could not contact me through email or telephone, they organized amongst each other to find out what happened to me and my home. They eventually got a hold of the Red Cross who told them what hotel we would staying in. One of my friends in Houston happens to have a friend who lives in Franklin, TN. They called her and told her what happened. They pooled resources and delivered this basket to my room....before I had ever gotten there, they had it waiting for me.

One of the most beautiful and thoughtful gestures. EVER. From people I had only met through online connections. Love runs deep from many sources. Never sell it short.


THANK YOU AGAIN GIRLS! :*)

3 comments:

Regi S. said...

And don't you scare us like that again ! Prayers for Nie, Christian and family they recover soon, and for the family of their flight instructor. So, so sad.

Juli said...

:::::::::::smooches::::::::::
Love you, too, girl!

*~~*Inger*~~* said...

We'd do it again in a heartbeat if we had to (though I'm hoping we never need to)! Muah!