Sunday, February 08, 2009

A Day In The Garden

A second day of unseasonably warm weather. Even though the forecast called for rain and a high of 61*, it was sunny and 71*.

I know that I can't plant in my garden for at least 3 months but I figured I could at least rake the dirt around a little.




It has been neglected all winter.




First I collect the pinecones that have fallen in the beds. They make great kindling for the fire in the fireplace and what we won't burn, the kids will use as grenade props during their Army guy battles.




Then here come my helpers. Kitty cat tries to find some catnip that may have escaped the freeze.








It would appear that he has been successful.



Then Amanda heads my way.




And yes. As a matter of fact that IS her normal gardening attire. This is what she wore last year when we broke ground.



We found a few little surprises. So if I had to do the Scarlet O'hara turnip scene, I wouldn't have to fake any parts.



When Amanda got bored raking, she found the camera.



I bribed her with garden tools to hand it back over before it got dropped in the dirt.


But not before she got a picture of Derick working in the dirt in the front of the house. We may even have a lawn there this year.



But then we were tired and called it a day.



And even though the garden is still sleeping, at least we got to make the bed a little nicer until spring.