Tuesday, August 19, 2008

10 Things

I have a lot of pictures on my hard drive. Some are interesting, some are boring, some are fun to look at, some I'd rather toss out. But none the less I have them and thought I'd cull a few of them to put up as 10 Things About Me - with photographs.


So in no particular order I have:

Thing 1



Oh here I am with our little orphan foal. I was think I was 16 years old here and my little brother Jay was 3. Her name was "Annie" (Little Orphan Annie) and her mother died while birthing her. She was born late in the year for a horse, during the summer. My job was to give her the 2 am feedings. I would heat up 6-8 baby bottles, put them in the pockets of my robe and trudge out to the barn to feed her. We were her Mommy. When my folks weren't home we'd let Annie into the living room. My folks could never understand why Annie always stood at the back door to the house.

Thing 2:


I love to sew. Here is a dress I made one summer after my 4th boy was born. I think I was really craving some girly whiteness, eyelet and lace. I designed this dress myself, it has an attached petticoat so I didn't have to wear a slip with it. The pleats in the bodice hide nursing openings so I could breast feed without taking my clothes off. I was pretty clever once.

Thing 3:


This was my first sewing project. I was in the 6th grade here. I really liked that shirt, but it had a hole in it. I didn't own a lot of shirts anyway at that time and felt it should be saved. So I raided my Mom's sewing basket and found a little floral embroidered applique and sewed it over the hole in the front....see that little thing in the front? I was very proud of it, thought no one could ever tell the shirt wasn't made like that and went to picture day wearing it. Too bad the hole wasn't a bit higher and more to the left, it could have passed for a very fem version of a Star Trek Communicator.

Thing 4:




This is the car I took my driver's test in. I'm sure all the DMV testers saw that car coming and had to draw straws. All I know is that it took a long time for a tester to come out and get into the car with me. I passed.

Thing 5



Awww, this is me on my little POA pony Cocoa. I'm riding him in Bakersfied so I must have been around 11 years old. Cocoa was a nut, he'd prance so much I'd literally get side aches from all the bouncing. I don't know who that little girl is. I was just riding down the road and a girl asked if she could pet him so I stopped so she could. Her Dad came out of the house and took 2 Polaroid pictures and gave one to me. I think it's the only picture I have of me and my pony. When I grow up I hope I'm nice like that Dad.

Thing 6


Oh this is when I tried to shed my Tom Boy image and be a refined lady. I fooled no one. But got a bunch of free stuff and a cool tiara.

Thing 7




1983 called and wants their hair back!! Thankfully that picture was taken in 1983. My brother's friend wanted to be a photographer and I wanted to pretend I was a model so we had a very convenient user friendship. His portfolio went no where as did my modeling so we're cool. They don't sell Sun In anymore because I bought it all up between 1982 and 1984.

Thing 8



My short and sassy hair cut days. Rick shudders at the memories to this day.

Thing 9





The 7th grade! I had crows feet even then. That was as long as my hair had even been. No surprise looking at those baby fine strands. I remember that shirt. My step mom bought it for me so I could show my pony in Western Pleasure classes. That shirt had the nicest pearl snaps. I would wear it during horse shows paired with my cream with rust/green/blue plaid pants, my leather tooled western belt with the brass covered wagon on a silver background buckle and nice pointed cowboy boots. On school picture day I wanted to wear my best shirt and apparently that shirt was it, maybe it was too nice. Who knows, but I know all the other girls were jealous.

Thing 10





Oh wait! I did model. Actually they just wanted to use the car since it went with the whole theme, but then the people felt bad that we had driven all the way to Indio so they stuck us in there, too. Rick & I. Rick is happy because he had just gotten that back bumper chromed but was then a little bummed when they cropped most of it out. We were paid with a travel gift certificate. We took an anniversary cruise to Mexico and came home expecting Austin. Sorry for the TMI.
And there you have it!

3 comments:

marmee said...

very nostalgic walk thru a peep in your life. it seems i have some of the same photos of me. the one on the pony and school pictures with either something my mom made or i attempted. trying to model for my sis's boyfriend who thought he was a photographer.
very cool!

CA Girl in 10-OC said...

It's funny how we humans feel so unique but are really so very much the same :)

Regi S. said...

Love those ! Those pics are right out of the horse books this city girl read growing up !