Wednesday, August 13, 2008

My Summer Vacation

Well, since the kids are in school and starting back to the whole school routine, I thought I would empathize with them myself and write a theme.


What I Did On My Summer Vacation 2008

1. Laundry. Lots and lots and lots of laundry.
2. Picked up Lego's. Lots and lots and lots of Legos
3. Poured milk. Lots and lots and lots of milk.
4. Picked up Legos
5. Laundry. Lots and lots and lots of laundry.


But mostly what I did was commute. Commute from home, to football practice, to football practice to home and repeat 2 hours later.




See Austin & Derick decided that football is pretty cool. Which it is. But starting July, they had practice every day, Derick at the Jr High and Austin at the high school. And they needed a ride. Enter me: with a van, car keys and a gas credit card. They NEEDED me to take them to football everyday. So I did. Left everyday at 3:00 and then got home at 4:00. Left again at 6:00 and got home at 7:00. Those 2 hours were spent driving, I just dropped off and picked up. We're country folk out here! We have to drive long distances. Fun.





No really, it was fun. I know, I know....how cool, all that time in the car to bond with my sons. Sure. I buzzed down those windows and cranked up the radio. Only after I heard "MOM!" 5 separate and distinct times did I turn it down and yell back an annoyed, "WHAT?" My usual answer was, "Uh huh" as I cranked up the radio again. This was MY time people! I'm out of the house! I'm on the road, I feel the wind, I've escaped. Don't ruin it for me.




Sometimes, oh sometimes Amanda fell asleep on the last long leg to the high school to drop off Austin. Oh THAT was the BEST! When Amanda was asleep after I dropped off Austin I could pull into Sonic, order a large strawberry smoothie with whipped cream and sneak sips all the way back home, then sneak it upstairs to enjoy at the computer as I checked email. I was living dangerously and sinfully.




But most times I just blasted the radio. And since the high school is just on the outskirts of town, I don't have to drive THROUGH town so most times I didn't even roll up my windows, I just let it all hang out singing at the top of my lungs to whatever song came on, even if I didn't particularly like it that song or know the words. I wasn't any bother really, because everyone else had their windows rolled up. One time however, I was at a stop light when I noticed the car next to me that had all their windows down and a young boy, 9yo or so, in the backseat; eyes fixed on me, mouth slightly agape, obviously amazed at the site he beheld. "Yes, my school boy friend", I thought, "we can't all be Stacey's Mom and have it going on." Me in my new RED mini van and all. Then the light turned green. As his car pulled away I saw him sit back and let out a sigh. Relieved that I was turning right onto the road that leads out of town.


3 comments:

Juli said...

LMAO!!! You forgot Barbies! Played lots and lots of Barbies!

CA Girl in 10-OC said...

Yes! Barbies in houses and furniture made from Legos!

Regi S. said...

Oh Dianne, you have to carpool girl !